Powers of Attorney and Court of Protection Work

For people who no longer have the mental capacity to manage their affairs and property due to old age, illness or an accident and do not have an Enduring Power of Attorney or Lasting Power of Attorney in place, the Court of Protection will appoint a Court of Protection Deputy to manage their affairs instead.

Our team of experienced lawyers can offer specialist advice to Deputies (and attorneys) in order to help them fulfil their role. This includes making applications to the Court to become a Deputy as well as making applications to the Court for other purposes. It also involves managing assets and obtaining financial advice on how best to cover future care costs, together with advice on budgets and care home fees. We can also assist with disputes concerning who should be appointed Deputy, as well as disputes concerning residence or treatment. 

And if there is no family, we can also manage the person’s affairs by acting as a Deputy (or attorney). Indeed, we have a particular expertise in managing the affairs of those with severe brain injuries who have received high-value personal injury awards.

Of course, Court of Protection involvement in a person’s affairs is best avoided, which is why we actively promote Lasting Powers of Attorney to our clients – both for financial matters and for health issues. 

Whatever your requirements, we will guide you through the process and provide you with clear, easy-to-understand advice.

Call 01242 574244 or contact us to find out how we can help with Lasting Powers of Attorney or Court Protection work.